If you want to slough off. literally, ten years of dead skin cells, allowing new skin cells to rise to the surface so you can really hydrate and plump them--you simply must try a Korean Italy Towel.
Really, a Korean Italy Towels or a KIT will give you such baby soft skin, you’ll feel like you have the skin of a four-year-old again.
And after soaking in some hydrating oil and applying moisturizer to these fresh new skin cells, you’ll think you have the collagen you had as a girl, too.
Korean Italy Towels are authentic loofa-towels used by Korean “Scrub Mistresses” in exfoliation spas to remove layers and layers of dead skin cells from the body in a process called “Seshin” – which literally means soaking in very hot water and then sloughing the skin all over the body with a Korean Italy Towel.[i]
As CNN reporters note, the Korean Italy Towel experience is like no other spa experience, because literally “rolls of dark, gray skin fall away as the ddemiri (scrub mistress) works away, revealing soft, pink layers of skin underneath. It's an extraordinarily rejuvenating -- and, again, painful -- process that locals embrace as a weekly ritual with family and friends.”
As one Korean writer at Vogue explains,
Ask any young Korean (including this one), and you’ll no doubt hear how much she once hated those towels. To this day, there is a particular shade of electric green that gives me chills, conjuring memories of sitting in the tub while my mother sandpapered the skin off my arms. “See how clean it is?” she would say, pointing at the pilling dirt and dead cells, only adding to my horror. Yet we do come to adore them. It’s an intense treatment that takes time to grow into—one that’s gained a cult following at Korean spas—and is increasingly available stateside.[ii]
Today, you can purchase a Korean Italy Towels, or several, for your face and body and enjoy your own seshin exfoliation experience at home.
Korean Italy towels actually come in four strengths.
- Pink is the softest in texture, and it would be better suited for the face.
- Green is slightly more abrasive, but still somewhat gentle.
- Yellow: Caution—you are approaching serious exfoliation territory
- Blue: the strongest and most abrasive of the Korean Italy Towels, use with caution.
For the best quality, choose an authentic Korean Italy Towel made of 100% viscose.
Should you use it on your face?
Well, dermatologists advise that if you do, to be very careful.
These towels literally scrub your skin pink. Famous red haired late TV night host Conan O’Brien swears by them, but he also says that afterward, his skin is the same color as his hair. You CAN damage your skin, so if you do use it on the face, do not press hard, as you might upon your tougher layers of skin on the body. And choose a gentler version of the towel for the face such as pink for sensitive skin, or green for more acne prone skin.
The Benefits of Exfoliating with a Korean Italy Towel
- Korean Italy towels have abrasiveness like sand paper, they more effectively move dead skin than any loofa, loofa mitt or exfoliating towel you’ll purchase anywhere else.
- You’ll slough off old, dead skin cells, revealing healthy new ones that really absorb product.
- Exfoliating with the KIT will empty pores of dirt, pollution, toxins, and years of abuse, tightening your skin to the texture of a China doll’s cheek
- Korean Italy Towels are produced with few chemicals and are very inexpensive.
- After exfoliating with a KIT, you’ll have a whole new glow you’ve never possessed before.
- With regular use of the KIT, you’ll notice fewer hairs on the face and no ingrown hairs or keratosis pilaris if you suffer with this condition
- The KIT helps remove all traces of oil and bacteria, helping you rid your skin of acne
- KIT will make your skin more accepting of all other treatments, and will make your makeup look more evenly applied as well.
How to Have a Korean Spa Exfoliation Experience at Home
To exfoliate your body like a pro, here are the steps you take.
- Soak in very hot water laden with salts and exfoliation promoting compounds like Epsom and dead sea salts, like Bashail, for 15 minutes, with the water as hot as you can get it. It’s important to note that at this stage, you do not use any oil in the soak. You do not want to fill the dead skin cells with moisture – only the new skin cells that surface.
- Take a dry Korean Italy Towel and begin sloughing skin. The harder the better. It might hurt a little bit but you won’t believe the pink, baby skin lies underneath this dead layer of the epidermis that needs to come off.
- Now, get back in the bath but add the moisturizing Bashail High Performance Oil to super-hydrate your fresh new skin cells, plumping them up with hydrants, nourishing minerals and compounds that encourage collagen synthesis and protect your skin from environmental contaminants.
Korean Italy towels are highly addictive because you have never quite experienced the skin they will give you. Try a Bashail soak with a Korean Italy towel and rediscover the glow you had as a little girl!
[i] CNN. Secrets of a Korean scrub mistress.
[ii] Kim, M. Why I can’t live without my Korean exfoliating mitt.